Since their creation, the Catacombs have aroused curiosity. The origin of the Paris Catacombs, which it would be better to call "Municipal Ossuary", goes back to the end of the 18th century.
The name of ‘Catacombs’ was given to this ossuary in reference to the Catacombs of Rome, a name originally given to an ancient cemetery situated not far from the Appian Way.
Adult : €12
The tour is free for under 18s as well as 18-25 year olds from countries within the European Union.
- This ticket does not allow you to skip the line
- The tour is unsuitable for people with heart or respiratory problems, those of a nervous disposition and young children. The Catacombs are not accessible for persons with reduced mobility.
- Conditions and accessibility : Visitor numbers are restricted to 200 at any time. Waiting time estimated between 1 and 2 hours depending on the season. Admission may be delayed for a short time during busy periods.
- No toilet or cloakroom facilities available. Animals are forbidden.
- Temperature : 14°C.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Distance covered : 2 km
- 130 steps to go down and 83 steps back up to street level.
- Undated ticket with access to temporary exhibitions
- A unique site in former chalk quarries